Tax exemptions, tax deductions and Michigan divorce: The most comprehensive publication on tax considerations applicable to Michigan divorced or separated individuals is published by the Department of the Treasury – Internal Revenue Service Publication 504 for use in preparing tax returns. A link to the publication can be found at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf
This IRS publication addresses tax filing statues, tax exemptions, alimony tax, qualified domestic relations orders, property settlement transfers and costs of getting a divorce. (Oh, in case you were wondering, you cannot deduct legal fees and court costs for getting a divorce, but you may be able to deduct fees for appraisals, accountants and actuaries).
In the spirit of tax season, this post will revisit articles that discuss Michigan divorce and tax considerations.
- General overview of filing status, dependency exemptions and alimony under Michigan divorce law: https://www.thedivorceguy.com/taxes-divorce-separation/
- Alimony and Michigan divorce law – The eight requirements under IRC sec. 215 for alimony payments to be allowed as a tax deduction: https://www.thedivorceguy.com/alimony-and-tax-considerations/
- Taxes and Michigan divorce law – Innocent spouse relief: https://www.thedivorceguy.com/michigan-divorce-and-innocent-spouse-releif/
- Avoiding a 10% early retirement penalty in a Michigan divorce: https://www.thedivorceguy.com/retirement-and-divorce-without-a-10-penalty/
- How to divide a retirement account in a divorce – tax considerations: https://www.thedivorceguy.com/how-to-divide-retirement-accounts-in-a-divorce/
- Michigan divorce taxes and expert testimony: https://www.thedivorceguy.com/michigan-divorce-expert-wh-testimony/
We are here to help you navigate this journey by focusing on your goals. If you have any questions concerning any aspect of the law, let me know. My direct line is 248-399-3300 or toll free: 877-968-7347.
Let our exceptional attorneys and legal team help you . . .,
Let it be our privilege to help.
By: Daniel Findling
The Divorce Guy, Michigan Divorce Attorneys, Michigan Custody Attorneys and Specialists