College Support

Every year thousands of Michigan children will start college for the first time and college support is an agreement to provide support for college expenses.  Unlike child support which typically ends when a child turns 18 and graduates high school, college support continues after graduation from high school (and after a child turns 18).

There is no legal obligation to provide college support in Michigan.

The Michigan Child Custody Act of 1970 authorizes a court to award custody of a child but does not provide a basis for college support.  A court cannot order a party to pay college support.

College support is a moral obligation – not a legal obligation.

College support is a moral obligation.  College support becomes a legal obligation only if the agreement to contribute is made part of the divorce or custody decree.

If the parties reach an agreement and the agreement is placed into a Judgment of Divorce or Custody, the agreement is enforceable under Michigan law.  See:  Ovaitt v. Ovaitt, 43 Mich. App. 628 (1972).  Many parents make the mistake of agreeing to pay college support only to have life’s circumstances change.  Therefore, caution should be exercised before including college support in a Judgment.  If you agree to pay college support, the agreement is typically considered by the courts as a property award and not modifiable.

About Findling Law:

I have been in practice for almost 20 years and practice exclusively in divorce and family law.  My practice includes several attorneys who share the core value of practicing law to help people navigate change in their life, without compromising principles.  We have extensive experience in high socio-economic, high profile and high conflict cases which has nurtured a skill set applicable to all divorce and family law cases regardless of socio-economic status.  We recognize that it is the application of the law that is most important aspect of practice.  That is why we provide more free information on divorce and family law than any other Michigan law firm.

We want to help you manage your situation. Let our exceptional legal team help you . . .


Local: +1 (248) 399-3300 – toll free:   (877-YOUR FIRM)

After hours emergency?:  +1 (707) 968-7347

Or email me at:

By:  Daniel Findling

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

Call Now Button