Washtenaw County divorce: At Findling Law, we have the great privilege of appearing before divorce courts throughout the state of Michigan. One of these courts is the Washtenaw County Circuit Court. The Washtenaw County Circuit Court – Family Division is simply known as a the Washtenaw Divorce Court.
The Family Division of the Washtenaw County Trial Court has original jurisdiction in all divorce matters and has a stated goal to provide families with a variety of dispute resolution and service opportunities, including fair treatment of all family members, timely disposition, enhancement of the litigation process and building public confidence and the court works hard to meet the goas.
The laws in the State of Michigan regarding divorce, custody and family law are the same throughout the State, however Washtenaw divorce Court does some things differently. For example, in some Washtenaw Divorce judges dispose motions without oral arguments, and other local court “rules” apply. Experience is important and Findling Law has extensive experience in Washtenaw County Divorce Court.
ABOUT THE COURT:
The Washtenaw County Divorce Court is located at 101 E. Huron St. PO Box 8645 Ann Arbor, Michigan 48107. The court’s phone number is (734) 222-3270. The Court is is staffed by experienced and knowledgeable judges that understand divorce law.
- The Honorable Archie Cameron Brown was appointed by governor Engler to the Washtenaw County Circuit Court in March 1999 and is currently assigned to the Family division. Judge Brown serves on the Rules committed of the Michigan Judges Association and is an adjunct professor at Thomas M. Cooley Law School.
- The Honorable Timothy P. Conners teaches at University of Michigan Law School, Wayne State University Law School and the Thomas M. Cooley Law School and is a prolific author.
- The Honorable Nancy C. Wheeler (Francis) was the first African American in the Washtenaw County judiciary. She handles family law cases and previously served in the United States peace corps.
- The Honorable Carol Kuhnk was elected by the voters in 2012 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan and Chicago-Kent College of Law. Judge Kuhnke handles civil and domestic relations matters.
- The Honorable Darlene A. O’Brien was appointed by governor Jennifer M. Granholm in 2006 and subsequently re-elected by the voters the following year. She handles family law cases and serves as a Probate Judge.
The Washtenaw County Friend of the Court provides services to parties with minor children involving divorce, family support, interstate and paternity cases. The Friend of the court is located at the main courthouse. The Washtenaw County Friend of the Court is staffed by referees, counselors, support specialists and support staff that assist the Washtenaw County Divorce Court Judges resolve disputes and perform other administrative functions.
An important consideration before entering the Washtenaw County Divorce Court and the Friend of the Court are the security requirements. You will be subject to building security before you enter the court and must pass through a medical detector. The specific items being banned changes however, cellphones with a camera and weapons are always banned.
For many divorce, custody and family law related issues, there is no need to travel all of the way to the courthouse. You can access many resources online.
OAKLAND COUNTY DIVORCE COURT ONLINE RESOURCES
The Washtenaw County Divorce Court also has many online resources including:
- Divorce with children checklist: http://washtenawtrialcourt.org/forms/family_forms/checklist_divorce_with_children_pdf
- Divorce without children checklist: http://washtenawtrialcourt.org/forms/family_forms/checklist_divorce_without_children_pdf
- Michigan Child Support Formula Manual: http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/OfficesPrograms/FOC/Pages/Child-Support-Formula.aspx
- Michigan Court Rules: http://courts.mi.gov/Courts/MichiganSupremeCourt/rules/Pages/current-court-rules.aspx
- Payments due on domestic cases: https://www.govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/1442;jsessionid=feb98f0673e1c5a48fcb3022a786
Findling Law is grateful to be able to practice law in the Washtenaw County Divorce Court – and throughout Michigan.
We are here to help you navigate this journey by focusing on your goals. If you have any questions concerning any aspect of the law, let me know. My direct line is 248-399-3300 or toll free: 877-968-7347.
Let our exceptional legal team help you . . .,
Let it be our privilege to help.
By: Daniel Findling
The Divorce Guy, Michigan Divorce Attorneys and Specialists