Change is coming to the Oakland County Circuit Court – Family Division which is more commonly referred to as the Oakland County Divorce Court. At Findling Law, we have the great privilege of appearing before divorce courts throughout the state of Michigan. One of these courts is the Oakland County Divorce Court.
Recent Changes to the Oakland County Divorce Court
We last wrote about the Oakland County Circuit Court – Family division in 2013. Since that time, the faces that make up the Oakland County Divorce Court have changed and there are more changes to come.
- The Honorable Cheryl A. Matthews has left the Oakland County Divorce Court. Most of Judge Matthews docket was assigned to the Honorable Jeffrey S. Matis.
- The Honorable Jeffrey S. Matis was appointed to the Oakland County Divorce Court in November 2015. The former vice chairman of the the Oakland County Board of Commissioners, Judge Matis is a 1994 graduate of the University of Detroit School of Law.
- The Honorable Lisa Langton was elected to the Oakland County Divorce Court and assigned to the Family Division in November 2014.
Upcoming Changes to the Oakland County Circuit Court – Family Division
The Oakland County Divorce Court – Family division will lose two judges to retirement at the end of the year.
- The Honorable Elizabeth Pezzetti who was appointed to the Oakland County Probate Court in 2001 and a graduate of Wayne State University School of Law; and
- The Honorable Joan E. Young was appointed to the Oakland County Divorce Court in March of 1997 and is the presiding Judge the Adult Treatment Court.
Judge Pezzetti and Judge Young will be replaced by two judges to be elected in the upcoming November 4, 2016 presidential election.
Cases assigned to Judge Young and Judge Pezzetti will likely be reassigned to the newly elected Judges.
About the Oakland County Divorce Court
The Oakland County Divorce Court Court is located at 1200 N. Telegraph Rd. in Pontiac, Michigan and is staffed by seven experienced and knowledgeable judges that understand divorce law. The remaining Judges on the Oakland County Circuit Court – Family Division are:
- The Honorable Mary Ellen Brennan is the presiding judge of the Oakland County Family-Focused Juvenile Drug Court. Judge Brennan was elected to the Oakland County Divorce Court on November 4, 2008 and is a graduate of James Madison College of Michigan State University and Wayne State University Law School.
- The Honorable Lisa Gorcyca was elected to the Oakland County Divorce Court in November of 2008. She is a graduate of Michigan State University and Detroit College of law.
- The Honorable Linda S. Hallmark is the Chief Probate Judge and former presiding Judge of the Circuit Court Family Division. She is a graduate of Michigan State University and Wayne State University School of law and
- The Honorable Karen D. McDonald was elected to the Oakland County Divorce Court in November of 2012. She is a graduate of Wayne State University School of law.
The Oakland County Friend of the Court provides services to parties with minor children involving divorce, family support, interstate and paternity cases. The Friend of the court is located at 230 Elizabeth Lake Rd., Pontiac, Michigan a few miles from the Court House. The Oakland County Friend of the Court is staffed by referees, counselors, support specialists and support staff that assist the Macomb County Circuit Court Judges resolve disputes and perform other administrative functions.
An important consideration before entering the Oakland County Divorce Court and the Oakland County Friend of the Court are the security requirements. You will be subject to building security before you enter the court and must pass through a medical detector. The specific items being banned changes however, cellphones with a camera and weapons are always banned.
For many divorce, custody and family law related issues, there is no need to travel all of the way to the courthouse. You can access many resources online.
The Oakland County Friend of the Court also has many online resources including:
- Forms: http://www.oakgov.com/libraries/pages/topics/courtforms.aspx
- Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.oakgov.com/courts/circuit/Pages/faq/default.aspx
- Michigan Child Support Formula Manual: http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/OfficesPrograms/FOC/Pages/Child-Support-Formula.aspx
- Court Explorer – Case lookup: http://www.oakgov.com/clerkrod/pages/courtexplorer.aspx
- Michigan Court Rules: http://courts.mi.gov/Courts/MichiganSupremeCourt/rules/Pages/current-court-rules.aspx
- Payments due on domestic cases: https://www.govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/1442;jsessionid=feb98f0673e1c5a48fcb3022a786
Findling Law is grateful to be able to practice law in Oakland County Circuit Court – Family Division and throughout Michigan.
About Findling Law:
I have been in practice for almost 20 years and practice exclusively in divorce and family law. My practice includes several attorneys who share the core value of practicing law to help people navigate change in their life, without compromising principles. We have extensive experience in high socio-economic, high profile and high conflict cases which has nurtured a skill set applicable to all divorce and family law cases regardless of socio-economic status. We recognize that it is the application of the law that is most important aspect of practice. That is why we provide more free information on divorce and family law than any other Michigan law firm.
We want to help you manage your situation. Let our exceptional legal team help you . . .
Local: +1 (248) 399-3300 – toll free: (877-YOUR FIRM)
After hours emergency?: +1 (707) 968-7347
Or email me at: Daniel@Findlinglaw.com
By: Daniel Findling
Can you sue a Judge or the Friend of the Court? Judicial Immunity