Our Michigan divorce attorneys, Michigan custody lawyers and family law specialists provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the questions our Michigan divorce attorneys hear most frequently. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us.
Michigan Divorce Questions
- Does it matter who files for a divorce in Michigan first?
- What are the steps to a Michigan divorce?
- Does fault matter in a no-fault Michigan divorce?
- How much does it cost?
- What should I do to prepare for a divorce?
- Can I (or should I move out of the house?
- How to settle a Michigan divorce?
- Does adultery matter in a Michigan divorce?
- What role does domestic violence play in a Michigan divorce?
- Things to avoid in a Michigan divorce?
- What is a religious divorce?
- Is there such thing as being legally separated in Michigan?
- Can I get divorced in Michigan if I was married in another country?
- Can I spy on my spouse in a Michigan divorce?
- Can I get out of a Settlement Agreement?
Michigan Alimony and Spousal Support Questions
- How much alimony can I get (or do I have to pay) in Michigan?
- Can Veterans benefits be used to pay alimony?
- Is alimony or spousal support taxable or tax deductible in Michigan?
- Non-modifiable alimony.
Michigan Divorce Property Questions
- How is property divided in a Michigan divorce?
- How is gifted or inherited property treated in a Michigan divorce?
- What happens to the engagement ring?
- What is double dipping in Michigan property division?
- What if my property is commingled?
- How do you divide a pension in a Michigan divorce?
- How do you divide a retirement account in a Michigan divorce?
- Is there a 10% early retirement penalty in a Michigan divorce?
- Do I have to pay my spouses unpaid taxes in a Michigan divorce?
- Can I change my retirement beneficiary in my Michigan divorce?
Michigan Custody and Parenting Time Questions
- How is custody decided in Michigan?
- What is the best interest of the child?
- How can I change custody in Michigan?
- Can my child choose who to live with in Michigan?
- What is a Michigan custody evaluation?
- Can I move with my children out of Michigan?
- Can I claim my child on taxes?
- Is parenthood a fundamental right?
- What is joint legal custody?
- Does moral fitness matter?
- When is custody decided?
- If child support payments are not made, can parenting time be denied?
- If I have joint physical custody, do I still have to pay child support?
- Is there child support with equal parenting time?
- What is parental kidnapping?
- Same sex couples and custody cases
- What is an ex parte custody order?
Michigan parenting time and Visitation Questions
- Are there parenting time or visitation guidelines in Michigan?
- How is parenting time decided in Michigan?
- How to create or modify a parenting time schedule?
- How to divide Christmas?
Michigan Child Support Questions
- How is child support decided in Michigan?
- Is there a statute of limitations on child support?
- Can someone go to jail for not paying child support in Michigan?
- Can veterans benefits be used to pay child support?
- How to avoid paying child support?
- Who pays for college after high school?
- Support security – How to secure the future payment of support.
Michigan divorce and Michigan custody courts and process
- How to take an appeal in a Michigan divorce or custody case?
- What is discovery?
- What is a motion?
- What is an ex parte order?
- When is expert testimony needed?
- Is my Michigan divorce or custody award valid in another state or country?