Mind Blowing Michigan Divorce Statistics.
Divorce is nothing new, nor is it something that rarely happens anymore. Everyone knows someone who has divorced. And, that is just as true here in the state of Michigan. Take a look at these mind-blowing Michigan Divorce Statistics. All stats here refer to the year 2015 unless noted otherwise.
1. The marriage rate went up in 2015!
That’s right, in 2015, there were 58,848 marriages in Michigan. That’s up from 57,071 in 2014.
2. The divorce rate is not going up.
In 2016, there were 29,748 divorces, just a few more than the previous year. (50.5% divorce rate – This rate has been constant for over 20 years)
3. 2001 was not a very good year for marriages.
Since 2000, the highest number of divorces in one year in Michigan was recorded in 2001 at 66,876. Just for comparison, that year there were 2,346,017 divorces in the United States.
4. – 6 The age we marry.
4. The median age for a man to marry was 32, and 30 for a woman.
5. The median age for brides marrying for the first time was 27, 41 for the second time, and 48 for the third time.
6. The median age for grooms marrying for the first time was 25, 37 for the second time, and 43 for the third time.
7-8 Marriage and divorce rates
7. In the year 1900, there were 23,295 marriages in Michigan, and 2,435 divorces. (10.4% divorce rate vs. 50.5% now)
8. In Oakland County in 2015, there were 7,264 marriages and 3,470 divorces. (47.8% divorce rate) In Wayne County, there were 7,823 marriages and 4,262 divorces. (54.4% divorce rate)
9. How long does a marriage last?
The median length of the marriage before divorce for men in their first marriage was 10 years, 4 months. For women, it was about the same at 10 years, 5 months.
10. First marriage divorce rate.
In 2015, the percentage of first marriages that ended in divorce for men was 67.7%, while for women it was 66.4%.
11 – 15 Married with children.
11. The estimated number of children involved in divorce in the year 2015 was 26, 173 at a rate of 11.9% per 1,000 children under age 18.
12. Compare that rate to 1960 when there were 19,209 children involved in divorce at a rate of 6.5% per 1,000 children under age 18.
13. For the husband, 28,713 had no children when they divorced in 2015. 500 men were awarded custody in a divorce of one child and 371 had two children.
14. For the wife, 23,577 had no children when they divorced in 2015. 2,919 were awarded custody in a divorce of one child and 2,266 were awarded custody in a divorce involving two children.
15. And, custody was sometimes awarded to guardians other than parents. In the case of a single child, it was 301; in the case of two children it was 91.
One thing is for certain: plenty of people have preceded you in divorce, and plenty more will follow you. You’re not alone. Explore our website to learn more about the divorce process in Michigan and how it is possible for you to move toward a new happiness. We are here to guide you every step of the way. No two divorces are identical, and we won’t treat them like they are. When you need guidance and direction to help you navigate through a divorce, your Findling Law lawyer is here to make sure you get exactly that.
About Findling Law
I have been exclusively practicing divorce and family law in Michigan for over two decades. The attorneys at Findling Law all share the core value of practicing law to help people navigate change in their lives, without compromising principles. We specialize in high socio-economic, high-profile and high-conflict cases, while also working with clients of all backgrounds. We recognize that the most important aspect of the practice of law is the application of the law to your specific circumstances.
That is why we provide more free information on divorce and family law than any other Michigan law firm. We want to help you manage your situation. Allow our exceptional legal team to help you navigate the change in your life, without compromising principles.
We want to help you manage your situation. Let our exceptional legal team help you . . .
Local: +1 (248) 399-3300 – toll free: (877-YOUR FIRM)
Or email me at: Daniel@Findlinglaw.com
By: Daniel Findling